Features to look for in a water operation harness for diving and
surface ice rescue:
1. Rapid girth-size adjustment capability for proper girth
sizing, between individuals and for different exposure suits.
2. Shoulder strap adjustment capability for proper height
adjustments - tether point should be at solar plexus height.
3. X-back design, not a Y-back design, to avoid any pressure
on back of neck.
4. A stainless D-ring tether-point built into the harness that is
separate from the girth- closure system.
5. A secure girth-closure system - the Lifeguard Systems
harness uses double D-rings plus a Velcro back-up system.
6. Parachute nylon stitching for strength and durability.
7. A stiff material webbing to prevent the webbing from
twisting, binding up, and working itís way inbetween the
8. A back D-ring tether point option for double-tether point
systems for surface operations and for tethering a tender on a
9. Color-coded sizing for easy and quick donning of the right
10. Two tether points for attaching tools.
Small: Red, Medium: Blue, Large: Black, XL: Green,
To size harnesses, use BC or wetsuit sizes. Medium and Large
are the most commonly used sizes.